Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Lazy Pie

This is a pie I could drown my sorrows in.  Seriously.  Nothing that  falls into the depths of this baby is coming out for air and I mean it. 

I had a bad day last week and I decided the answer was pie.  Clearly I've been busy because I haven't updated my blog since February.  Which doesn't mean I haven't been baking, I've just been too tired to take pictures of my food as I make it which leads to me not blogging about it.

Anyway, I had a bad day and came home to discover I had lots of leftover berries in my refrigerator and freezer so I decided the answer was to make pie.  I also had a pre-made crust so that helped.

Anyway, I started by pulling the basic ingredients you need for a pie.

Ingredients:
10-12 oz Any kind of berry (frozen or fresh.  If using frozen try to thaw it out first and drain the liquid before starting the recipe)
6 Tb Butter (I like salted but unsalted works fine)
3/4 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Brown sugar
1 Tb Lemon juice
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cup Flour
1 frozen Pie crust thawed

Then I added some fun things:
2/3 cup Chocolate chips
1/3 cup Chopped walnuts
3 Tsp Cinnamon


And then I made up a recipe.  It mostly worked, though in the future i would recommend letting the berries completely thaw and draining them of most liquid.  I was in too much of a hurry to get to pie heaven to take this step, which led to a much juicier pie than I intended.  But still good.

Anyway, here's what I did:

1. Mixed the berries in a bowl with 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, 3/4 cup flour, and cinnamon.  You can probably use just 1/2 cup flour but I had a lot of liquid from the melting berries that I wanted the flour to absorb.

2. Sprinkled chocolate chips and chopped walnuts onto the defrosted pie crust (I cooked it for about 10 minutes in the oven at 350 first to get it a little firm).


3. Poured the berry mixture on top of the chocolate chips and walnuts.

4. In the same bowl that I mixed the berries (because we know how I feel about washing dishes unnecessarily, and also because I thought the berry juice would add flavor to the crumb topping) I combined the butter with brown sugar, 1/4 cup white sugar, 3/4 flour, and cinnamon.  I mixed it all together with a fork until it made a nice crumbly topping



5. Sprinkled the crumb topping over the berries and baked in the oven at 350 F for about 40 minutes.


6. Let the pie cool.  It's insanely tasty warm, but it is unbelievably wonderfully amazing cold.  The chocolate hardens and makes a nice layer on the bottom that mixes so nicely with berries.  Like I said, this is a pie you can drown in.

So pick up your fork and dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment